A Resource for Gender Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Mayeno Consulting works with schools and organizations that serve children and youth.
We can help you:
- Create a climate that is welcoming to people of all gender identities and expressions in your classroom, school, or organization.
- Create gender-inclusive curriculum, activities, programs, and services.
- Engage families in supporting their children of all gender identities and expressions.
Free Discovery Sessions!
Our 50-minute, no obligation, consultations will help you:
- Create a sense of clarity about the inclusive organization or school you want to have.
- Discover the essential building blocks for effectively supporting gender-diverse young people and families.
- Determine the #1 thing that is stopping you from achieving gender-inclusivity in your organization and your programs.
- Identify the most powerful actions to move you toward effective responses to gender diversity.
- Complete the consultation knowing what to do next to excel at meeting the needs of children, youth, and families of many gender experiences.
Author visits, workshops, or presentations!
I would love to visit your school or library, read to children and families from One of a Kind Like Me/Único como yo, and dialogue about gender diversity.Book with Mayeno Consulting
We tailor to your needs and may cover the following topics:
Understanding Gender Diversity
- Gender and Sexual Orientation Basics—Learn about assigned sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation. Unpack misconceptions that lead to confusion and fear.
- Exploring Myths and Assumed Truths about Gender —Dig deeper into the myths and assumed truths related to gender that are embedded in our society. Explore how gender changes over time and across cultures and develop strategies for rethinking gender in families, schools, organization and schools.
- Looking Within: Gender and Difference in our Caregiving and Parenting (for parents, caregivers and providers)—Reflect on how our identities and the ideas we have learned about gender from and early age impact how we care for our children. Explore perspectives that empower us to support our children fully.
- Gender, Oppression and Intersections—Explore the interconnections between gender, racism, colonialism and other “isms” as they impact our identities, our lives and our families. Explore ways to bring all of our identities into the ways we live our lives.
Supporting Children & Families
- Responding to Gender Diversity Among Young Children – Understand the role of healthy gender identity and expression in young children. Learn to counter gender-based biases, language, and practices that impact healthy children development. Utilize gender diversity resources for working with young children and their families.
- Navigating Gender and Other Differences: Bringing Cultural Humility to Work with Families (for providers and educators)—Understand how multiple identities and “isms” impact families with LGBTQ+ and gender-expansive children. Explore principles and practices to build respectful and equitable relationships to support diverse families.
- Creating Safe Spaces for Children/Youth of all Gender Identities, Gender Expressions and Sexual Orientations—Clarify your own values and beliefs, identify unconscious biases, and develop strategies to create safe environments for children to grow and learn (for providers and educators).
- Building Gender Resilience and Pride through Multicultural Story Telling – Explore the power of storytelling in helping gender-diverse youth develop gender resilience and gender pride. Develop skills to support children through interactive exercises based on real life examples. Counteract negative stories and develop empowering narratives so that children can identify strategies for skill-building gender resilience and gender pride.
Communicating About Gender Diversity & Sexual Orientation
- Using Multicultural Children’s Literature to Talk with Children and Their Families About Gender Diversity—Explore the use of picture books to start conversations about gender identity and gender expression with children, ages 4-8, and their parents/caregivers. Learn to answer questions that children and parents may ask.
- When Gender Boxes Don’t Fit: Talking with Children and Their Families About Gender Diversity—Gain information, tools, and resources to become more confident and skilled to talk with young children and their families about gender diversity.
- Communication and Dialogue about Gender and Sexual Orientation—Build communication skills and common language to talk with others or facilitate dialogue about gender and sexual orientation.