A Resource for Gender Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Mayeno Consulting works with organizations that serve children and youth and need support responding to gender diversity. We help them create inclusive organizations that meet the needs of young people and families of all gender identities and expressions.
There may be many reasons you want support for your organization or school in responding to gender diversity.
- Do you want to create an environment that is inclusive and welcoming for everyone?
- Do you want to help young people challenge gender stereotypes, support each other, and be who they are?
- Do you work with people who are transgender, gender nonbinary, or gender-expansive and want to make sure they are fully supported?
- Do you want to engage families in supporting your work around gender diversity?
- Do you want to make sure you are in compliance with laws related to gender diversity?
Schedule a Free Discovery Session!
Our 50-minute, no obligation, consultations will help you:
- Create a sense of clarity about the inclusive organization or school you want to have.
- Discover the essential building blocks for effectively supporting gender-diverse young people and families.
- Determine the #1 thing that is stopping you from achieving gender-inclusivity in your organization and your programs.
- Identify the most powerful actions to move you toward effective responses to gender diversity.
- Complete the consultation knowing what to do next to excel at meeting the needs of children, youth, and families across the gender spectrum.
Please contact us to schedule your free discovery session.
Workshops and dialogues are available on the following topics:
Understanding Gender Diversity
- Gender and Sexual Orientation Basics—Learn the difference between assigned sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation. Unpack misconceptions that lead to confusion and fear.
- Exploring Myths and Assumed Truths about Gender —Dig deeper into the myths and assumed truths related to gender that are embedded in our society. Explore how gender changes over time and across cultures and develop strategies for rethinking gender in families, schools, organization and schools.
- Looking Within: Gender and Difference in our Caregiving and Parenting (for parents, caregivers and providers)—Reflect on how our identities and the ideas we have learned about gender from and early age impact how we care for our children. Explore perspectives that empower us to support our children fully.
- Gender, Oppression and Intersections—Explore the interconnections between gender, racism, colonialism and other “isms” as they impact our identities, our lives and our families. Explore ways to bring all of our identities into the ways we live our lives.
Supporting Children & Families
- Navigating Gender and Other Differences: Bringing Cultural Humility to Work with Families (for providers and educators)—Understand how multiple identities and “isms” impact families with LGBTQ+ and gender-expansive children. Explore principles and practices to build respectful and equitable relationships to support diverse families.
- Creating Safe Spaces for Children/Youth of all Gender Identities, Gender Expressions and Sexual Orientations—Clarify your own values and beliefs, identify unconscious biases, and develop strategies to create safe environments for children to grow and learn (for providers and educators).
Communicating About Gender Diversity & Sexual Orientation
- Using Multicultural Children’s Literature to Talk with Children and Their Families About Gender Diversity—Explore the use of picture books to start conversations about gender identity and gender expression with children, ages 4-8, and their parents/caregivers. Learn to answer questions that children and parents may ask.
- When Gender Boxes Don’t Fit: Talking with Children and Their Families About Gender Diversity—Gain information, tools, and resources to become more confident and skilled to talk with young children and their families about gender diversity.
- Communication and Dialogue about Gender and Sexual Orientation—Build communication skills and common language to talk with others or facilitate dialogue about gender and sexual orientation.
Mayeno Consulting is based in the San Francisco Bay Area. We are available to travel to your location.